About Old Town Albuquerque
Old Town Albuquerque, located in New Mexico, features approximately ten blocks of old, adobe buildings that hug a central plaza. Founded by the Spanish in the early eighteenth century, Old Town Albuquerque continues to thrive, as old buildings are re-purposed for use as restaurants, art galleries, and shops.
In 1706, Francisco y Valdes, governor of the area, used Old Town as a primary place to conduct his business. Even today, the main plaza continues to be a central feature of Albuquerque. Constructed in 1793, the northern end of the plaza houses the San Felipe de Neri church, the oldest building in Albuquerque. The original settlers erected their homes, government buildings, and shopping areas around the church.
Old Town Albuquerque still looks very much like its eighteenth century self. Highlighting a style of architecture that features soft, adobe contours and flat-roofed buildings, this Pueblo-Spanish style blends into the colorful, panoramic, southwestern topography. Porches decorate the building fronts, acting as a welcome respite from the bright New Mexican sun. Benches, sometimes called bancos, are erected into the back walls of porches. Residents and tourists enjoy resting their weary legs and watching others go about their business.
New Town Albuquerque and Old Town Albuquerque joined together in the 1940s to form the city of Albuquerque. Old Town, considered to be the crossroads of the west for over three centuries, is conveniently situated near cultural institutions such as The Children's Museum, The Albuquerque Museum, and the New Mexico Museum of Natural History.